In Windows, the only way I know of printing pdf documents is using the
'/p' command line option.  Actually, if you wanted to print a document
123.pdf you might use;

AcroRd32 /p /t 123.pdf  or if you use acrobat
Acrobat /p /t 123.pdf

This will leave the acrobat opened and seems 'messy' to me.  It would
eat up memory real quick.  On my PC it opens an occurrence for every
print you execute.  It also uses the default printer ('/t' - suppress
asking). Not a real solution in my opinion.

In Linux we are doing something similar.  What I do is to convert the
PDF to Postscript via the command

acroread -toPostScript 123.pdf /tmp/123.ps
lp -dmy_postscript_laser /tmp/123.ps
rm -rf /tmp/123.ps
rm -rf 123.pdf

The only thing here is that you need a Postscript enabled printer.  We
are going to be evaluating a Xerox 4350 laser printer that actually is
said to print PDF files natively (probably just converts to postscript
by itself).  So, if you can get a PDF cabable printer it makes things
even easier. In Windows you would just do a "print d:/my_pdf_laser
123.pdf" and off it goes.

One other thing you should consider is how to do reprints easily.  One
thing about printers is that they jam, run out of paper etc..

Anthony