The first 2 numbers (2.4) are the critical ones. IBM has to put the whole
kernel on which they tested so they are legally covered, just in case.
Though I doubt it will be an issue, it could and they have to cover their
bases.

If your kernel is 2.4.18-14 (Redhat v8.0) or 2.4.20-8 (Redhat v9) then
10.1.4 will run fine. You may see a tiny issue here and there, but I doubt
it. How many folks are running the PE version without problems and they
have put that on a wide variety of kernels and distributions.

That's my (educated/experienced) guess.

Karl

<quote who="Anthony Dzikiewicz">
> I was checking the availability matrix for Universe on the IBM website.
> I am very confused about the kernel versions listed for Red Hat Linux.
>
> For example, for version 10.1.4 Red Hat kernel 2.4.21-4g is compatible.
> This kernel is not listed on the Red Hat site as one of theirs.
> However, kernel-2.4.21-4.EL is the closest thing they list.  So, maybe
> the 'g' means 'and greater' ?  I am curious if the latest Red Hat
> kernel, 'kernel-2.4.21-27.0.4.EL' is compatible with Universe 10.1.4 ?
>
> Does anyone know how this works ?
>
> Thanks
> Anthony

Karl L. Pearson