I don't recall ever, ever seeing this before.  I'm egotistical enough to
believe that may be true for others, too.

It's in UV 10 User Basic Ref., pg 11-203 (although the bottom of the
page says "DELETEU") :

DESCRINFO function
Syntax
DESCRINFO(key, variable)
Description
The DESCRINFO function returns requested information (key) about a
variable.
Set the key value to 1 to obtain information about the type of variable.
Set the
key value to 2 to obtain the reuse flag of the variable. Any other value
is
invalid, and will result in the program exiting.
If the key value is 1, the return type indicates the following type of
variable:
        Return
        Value   Type
        0               unassigned variable
        1               integer
        2               numeric
        3               string
        4               file
        5               array
        6               subroutine
        7               sequential file
        8               GCI descriptor
        9               NULL value
        10              ODBC descriptor
1/29/02
Example
The following example illustrates the DESCRINFO function.
A=1
B="DENVER"
C=10.7
VAL1 = DESCRINFO(1,A)
PRINT VAL1
VAL2 = DESCRINFO(1,B)
PRINT VAL2
VAL3 = DESCRINFO(1,C)
PRINT VAL3
This program returns the following results:
RUN &BP& DESCRINFO
1
3
2