> I noticed that they have converted a number of work/scratch files
> to dynamic whcih I would think is not such a good idea.
>
> Gerry

Actually, dynamic files are very good for work/scratch files if you use
the MINIMUM.MODULUS parameter. (Use CONFIGURE.FILE ... MINIMUM.MODULUS
command.

I'm thinking of files that periodically get cleared, then built during
some process during the business cycle.

Figure out how much data to expect, & set the MINIMUM.MODULUS to
accommodate that much data. (The calculation is the same as for sizing
static hashed files.) That way you get the best of both worlds.
Clearing/ repopulating the file avoids  merges/splits as long as you
were right in your size estimation,  but if, for some business cycle
(e.g., your busy season, or users increase load w/o telling you) you
underestimated the size, then the dynamic file splits nicely as it is
populated instead of going into serious overflow like a static hashed
file would, and reverts back to normal when done.

 - cds