I have no doubt IBM are really committed to Open Source solutions and
defiinitely did not imply that there was colusion between the Microsoft
and IBM.  It makes no sense to distance oneself from Microsoft.  What I
do believe is that as far as U2 development is concerned it has been
expedient to ignore the fact that there are customers that require a
completely non-MS solution from the server to the desktop, and that the
level of implementation of JDBC ( and to lesser degree, ODBC ) has been
at the minimum level required to be able to tick that check box that
says JDBC yes/no.

The standard response from IBM when asking for attention to some of the
issues related to use tools like ODBC and JDBC has been to fob off the
requirement by side stepping the issue and hiding behind the
documentation instead of pro-actively assessing the requirement and the
opportunities.

Compare this to OOo response:  After being elated about the success of
the JDBC patch in OOo I found a problem updating tables via JDBC, so I
posted an issue.  Not 1 hour later I get a meaningful response along
these lines:

<extract>

------- Additional comments from [EMAIL PROTECTED] Tue May 10 23:39:29 -0700
2005 -------
great to hear that it works for you

>> Although I can create tables on the UniVerse server I can only get read-only
>> access to the tables even though I set ALL PRIVILEGES for PUBLIC and log in
>> as
>> the SQL administrator.  Any suggestions or should I raise a new issue ?

Definately a new issue, please
(http://qa.openoffice.org/issue_handling/basic_rules.html#one_per_issue).

However, IIRC, the JDBC driver only supports the READONLY concurrency (as
opposed to UPDATABLE, see
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/java/sql/ResultSet.html#CONCUR_READ_ONLY).

OOo previously always tried UPDATABLE. Other drivers downgraded this
automatically when necessary, however IBM's Universe driver just complained that
it only supports READONLY.
This is what the second setting in the macro cares for: it tells OOo to always
respect what the driver supports, instead of trying the maximum. Thus, when the
result set is not updatable with this setting being <TRUE/>, it means that the
driver claims to not support updatable result sets.

So: feel free to submit an issue, so we can track it, but I strongly assume that
it's a driver problem on IBM's side.
</extract>

This indicates that someone took the time to actually see what the
UniVerse JDBC driver is doing and provides something for IBM to respond
to.  In none of the cases however  where I have asked IBM to look at
same/similar issues  has there been this sort of  explanation., the
stock answer being "it is not supported - speak to your vendor".  In
other words, "idiot, did'nt you read the manual where it says we only
support ......." .  The 60's typical civil servant response comes to
mind -  "It's more than me jobs worth"

OpenOffice.org is powerful software, and getting UniVerse to work with
OOo complements both tools and opens up possibilities not afforded by MS
Office eg unattended PDF conversions, mail merges etc on a centralised
server and a host of other facilties, eg being able to start an X
application on another users display.