-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Mike Brennan
Sent: Thursday, May 12, 2005 3:30 PM
To: u2-users@listserver.u2ug.org
Subject: Re: [U2] PI/Open internal lock problem

> Sounds like you have less semaphores configured than what you really
> need for item locking.

> Mike Cannady
> Computing Services
> Campbell University
> PO Box 164
> Buies Creek, NC 27506
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> (910) 893-1204
>
> There is no place like 127.0.0.1 (aka ::1)!

Interesting idea.  I'd completely forgotten this was configurable.
But I notice in by boot.params file that there is a LK_WAIT_SEMS
parameter.  Its description in the boot.params file is:

   /* The next line defines the number of semaphores that should be
   /* used to queue users waiting for locks. Generally, larger values
   /* result in reduced CPU usage. The maximum value must be less than
   /* or equal to the OS kernel limit (SEMMNS and SEMMSL) and should be
   /* no larger than the typical number of PI/open users. A value of
   /* zero indicates the default should be used.

I have it set to 200, which is the number of seats I'm licensed for.
Typical number of logged in users is 150-180 (200 when the
system is busy) and around 50 phantoms, so this may be an issue.
Still, the comment says "typical", not "maximum" number of users.
I may try bumping in up a bit and see what happens.

Other than in the boot.params file, I don't recall seeing this
documented anywhere, so there doesn't seem to be much guidance
on tuning or what can go wrong (other than increased CPU usage)
if it is too small.  Have you had an internals class that
covered this?

Thanks for the tip!

    /   /  /  /\  /__Mike Brennan
                     Pittsburg State University