In a message dated 5/17/2005 7:47:46 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> es, Will. There are two variables. The descriptor definition found in
> $UVHOME/gcidir/include/DATUM.h states:
>
> struct    Dstring
> {                       /* This are my comments. GI */
>    STRING  str;         /* This is the entire dynamic array. */
>    int     lastfield;   /* This is the last field accessed. */
>    uchar   *lastfptr;   /* This is a pointer into str.text */

Thanks Gyle for that information.
So it seems like then it might be just as fast to also step *backward*
through an array ?  I suppose that would depend on whether there is also an
opcode
for "scan backward to delimited" like there is for "scan forward to delimiter".

And then I would wonder if the code is optimized to actually try to determine
whether it would be faster to scan backward from present, or forward from
cell 1 ...

And then by that time, system programmers would be saying "Why can't they
just all use dimensioned arrays dammit" :) I suppose.

Will