We run our UniVerse application on HP-UX, but we use a number of sql
servers running on X86 type hardware.

Our standard setup for a database server (Micro$oft SQL for us) calls
for a dual processor machine with at least a gig of memory depending
upon the size and number of users.

We've found that disk usage makes a big difference (no suprise there).
 A mirrored set of disks should be setup for the system or C:\ drive.
Another set of mirrored disks or a drive array should be used for the
actual data files themselves.  I've also found that using a single
drive running by itself as a temp file system helps.  On SQL server we
put the swap file, tmp files and the tempdb on this drive.  This
leaves us with three volumes doing different things (program files,
data and temp space).

Resist the any urge you may have to configure one big disk and put
everything there.

Hope this helps.