Webmin (http://www.webmin.com) allows you to upload list of users with the various fields prepopulated, including passwords - supports AIX 4.2 , 4.3 , 5.0 , 5.1 , 5.2. If you don't want to use Webmin, it's all perl scripts & you can figure out the parts you want from the modules that are already in place. But we've found Webmin to be a good, reliable & generally safe tool, very few (albeit some) security fixes have come along in the 3 years we've been using it.

Dave Schexnayder wrote:
Hi Gals and Guys,

We would like to release a administrative tool for our UniVerse/AIX (and
SCO) users which would allow them to create users on Unix and set their
passwords.

Many of our users do not have IT staff and only do system management in Unix
when they have to.  In reviewing the AIX documentation, I cannot find a way
around setting the password that is not interactive.

In addition, the documentation states that other users can be promoted to
superuser.  Has anyone done this for the purpose of creating users.  Are
there any disadvantages to doing this?

Ultimately, we would like an administrative user (other than root) to be
able to fill out a VB screen and upon acceptance, have it create a
functioning Unix user ready for login.

Thanks,

Dave Schexnayder.                       :-)
Cheetah Advanced Technologies, Inc.

Peter Ivanick
Sr. Programmer/Analyst
School of Veterinary Medicine, University of Pennsylvania
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Phone: 215.573.2306    Fax: 215.573.8777
http://www.vet.upenn.edu/