In a message dated 6/4/2005 3:31:58 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> If I compile on 2 different machines and 2 different OS ex. HP-UX and AIX
> but on the same Universe versions the same source code (any basic code) did
> they work the same ?  Maybe there are some system specific basic funcions
> which
> working different on different OS's.

I doubt they would work the same.
HP-UX and AIX are different and therefore certain references to the
underlying kernal functions will act differntly as well.
   Someone already mentioned the issue of TIME() which also impacts things
like SLEEP and RQM and NAP.
   I'd also wonder about port-specific usage.  I believe I worked on a Unix
box a while back where they mapped the ports so that every time a person logged
in they got the same port number.  Don't ask me exactly how they did this.
However another box I worked on, I was told they could not do this.  So either
it was Unix's fault, or the people weren't as savvy but either way, it did
impact programs that relied on the ability to be port-specific.
   I'd also just do a quick test of the math functions.  I'm not sure every
system does the trigonometric, and extended math functions the same way.  Early
on I ran into an issue where an old box gave the same result for two very
close but not idential numbers when you did a tangent on them.  I had to roll
my
own 'fix' for that.

Just a few notes.
Will Johnson