George, do you, or would you be willing to, have your code up on the pickwiki ?

Will Johnson
Fast Forward Technologies

-----Original Message-----
From: George Gallen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: u2-users@listserver.u2ug.org
Sent: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 14:42:41 -0400
Subject: RE: [U2] Using httpout / UV based webserver / images?

The cgi writes the environment varibles to a file using the PID as the ID,
  then waits for that PID to appear in another file, which it sends the
contents
  of that back through the browser.

On the UV side, I have a phantom that monitors the first file for any new ID's
(PIDS)
  which it then looks at (one of the environment/http varibles tells what
function it is),
  and tosses it off to the appropriate program, which does it thing, and
creates HTTP output
  which it writes back tothe second file (using the PID) for the cgi to give
back to the user.

the cgi knows nothing of UV, just that it writes a file, and reads a file.
and UV knows nothing of the cgi, just it gets data and writes creates data.

One nice feature, is that the UV and the webserver "could" be on two different
machines, as
long as they can share two directories (files), one for cgi output, and the
other for cgi input.
(good for security, if the webserver is hacked, the UV server is not).

It works, but sometimes is a little slow. So I considered eliminating the
apache side, and puting
the server function in UV as well.

George