Clif:

What distresses me about your comments is they are embedded with "should"s.
There is no reason why &NEXT.AVAILABLE& style of counters "should not" be
considered information; except that there are problems with the IT
implementation of counters.  There is no necessary accounting or auditing
justification for such a position.

Despite what has been suggested, an accounting transaction is not like a
disk address.  To think so is to conceptualize accounting using IT norms;
thus a lot can get lost in translation.  For those who aren't familiar with
the subject of accounting, some major misunderstandings can occur when using
IT analysis models.

Valid counters are just tools, nothing more.  If the counters don't exist,
that just means less tools are available.  To suggest additional tools are
meaningless and "should not" be used is, well, need I say more.  :-)

Bill