[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes
> >When I said 'hack' I meant the ugly code that I had to create to make
> >the trick work--the idea of having to put a dummy parameter into the
> >function call in the basic program in order to make it compatible with
> >the subr call in the i-type. Sorry for the confusion there.

Ed, UniData doesn't advertise FUNCTIONs as being compatible with SUBR().  I
don't see why it is any uglier to have to write a FUNCTION with two
arguments in order to be able to invoke it via SUBR passing only one
parameter than it is to code a SUBROUTINE that way.

Anthony W. Youngman wrote:

> I don't get that ...
>
> As I say, I'm talking UV, but it's the SUBROUTINE that has the extra
> argument to make them compatible ...
>
> Your example had both the subroutine and the function with the same
> number of arguments. IME, using the function version hides the first
> argument making it have one less.

Wol, I will say this only once more.  Current releases of UniData *DO NOT*
implement FUNCTION as a SUBROUTINE with an extra, hidden argument.  UniVerse
does.

In UniVerse a FUNCTION declared with two parameters *IS* a SUBROUTINE with
three.  On UniData a FUNCTION declared with two parameters is exactly that -
a FUNCTION which expects two parameters.

Cheers,

Ken