Tom:

Shouldn't this file be sent raw to the printer?  I seem to recall I was
working on signature fonts and was able to easily print the font to the
printer in some kind of raw mode.  I can't find my notes on the process but
I think I used something like:

     lpr -PMyPrinter -bMyFont.spf

This sent the job to the printer, raw, without any preprocessing.  Maybe
this is your issue.

Bill