It's odd that you could convert the data file (which would have at some
point done a mkdbfile with a -64BIT option) yet cannot create indexes.  A
few things could cause that particular message to be generated by
mkdbfile:

1) Your system doesn't support 64 bit files (which we know is patently
false for HP at that revision),

2) Your uvconfig value for 64BIT_FILES is either set to negative value (or
the shared memory value of it is bogus),

3) You INDEX.MAP file is corrupted and the sequencing code is getting
confused, or

4) I have no other guesses. :-)

I believe it would have been safer to remove the indexes, then convert the
data file over to 64bit, then recreate each index.  That would keep
everything in sync.  To fix that, you could use SET.INDEX to remove the
index pointer in the data file header (abandoning the existing index
directory), then re-create all the indexes over again.  Not the most
elegant solution but it would work.

Hope this helps.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage

Glenn M. Herbert - Connectivity Development  Engineer
Information Integration Solutions, IBM Software Group
50 Washington Street Westboro, MA 01581
 508-599-7281 direct

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent by: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
07/05/2005 01:09 PM
Please respond to
u2-users

u2-users@listserver.u2ug.org (u2-Users)
cc

Subject
[U2] [UV] indexed 64 bit files

Hi all,

UV9.6.1.1.14,  HPUX 11

I converted a file that had secondary indices to 64bit.  Now I cannot
create any new indices on it.  Anytime I try to do this the CREATE.INDEX
program just hangs for a while and returns the message "Unable to generate
unique index file name!". I put a debug statement in the CREATE.INDEX
program and found that the mkdbfile command was returning the error
"mkdbfile: Enhanced files (64bit) are not currently supported o n this
platform.".

My question is this...  Is it ok to change the CREATE.INDEX program to
force mkdbfile to use the -32BIT option instead of -64BIT?   The total
size of the index file will never ever reach 2g.

Thanks for any help.

Scott Thompson