-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Mark Johnson
Sent: Thursday, July 14, 2005 8:16 PM
To: u2-users@listserver.u2ug.org
Subject: Re: [U2] THE variable names

Don't cast such stones on us 'old pro's. Many of us have spent more time
with these older systems prior to the current system than many have with
their only systems. There is an evolution with these MV systems that allows
us to be a little cautious of new, platform specific 'features'.

At present I have active accounts in Microdata, UV, UD, AP-Pro, D3, MvBase
and R90. All support DCOUNT etc and it gets a little hard to remember which
system supports REMOVE or SELECT TO. I for one got a little tired with the
LOCATE differences and the EXECUTE/PERFORM syntaxes. So I go with the
trusted, comprehensive methods.

My productivity isn't hampered by using DCOUNT instead of REMOVE. I won't
yield to a cpu cycle argument either. Given the tremendous amount of poor
programming that I have inherited these last 27 years, I feel pretty good
about my abilities (and bank account) in MV programming.

I just removed 680 lines from a 900 line program that needed a repair. Since
I'm the current cook in the kitchen at my clients, I have to take
responsibility for any problems that creep up when I change a program. I may
be tweaking lines 100-115 and when the fresh compile produces a new error at
line 580, it's now my problem.

As with other debatable elements, there will always be 2 solutions to every
program. What started out as a curiosity with the THE prefixes, ended up
with slandering against the senior members of this forum. Not read the
manual in 20 years? We've probably written the one you're reading now.

My 1 cent.
Mark Johnson