You dimensioned the variable but didn't initialize it with MAT.
MAT TEMP = "" or whatever value.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kezic, David" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <u2-users@listserver.u2ug.org>
Sent: Friday, July 15, 2005 12:36 AM
Subject: [U2] UniVerse 10.0.19 abnormal termination

Hi all.

In attempting to track down an issue causing abnormal termination of
Universe I have discovered the following scenario which causes this to
happen.  I would have expected universe to report a variable unassigned
or equivalent in this case without dropping out of UV.  Have passed this
on to UV support.

Thoughts/comments anyone?

The routine below demonstrates the issue.

DK.TEST
* Test routine to cause UV to abort with following error
*
* Program "DK.TEST": Line 16, Variable "VAL" previously undefined.
Empty string used.
* Abnormal termination of UniVerse.
* Fault type is 11.  Layer type is BASIC run machine.
* Fault occurred in BASIC program DK.TEST at address 3a.
* /usr/contrib/bin/uv_connect[21]: 5621 Memory fault
*
* RELLEVEL as follows
* 001: X
* 002: 10.0.19
* 003: PIOPEN
* 004: PIOPEN.FORMAT
* 005: 10.0.19
*

$INCLUDE SYSCOM ATFUNCTIONS.INS.IBAS
*
      EQUATE BG LIT "@(IT$SHALF)"
      EQUATE FG LIT "@(IT$EHALF)"
*
      DIM TEMP(2)
*
      VAL = TEMP(1)
*
      CNT = COUNT(VAL, BG) + COUNT(VAL, FG)
*
      STOP
*
   END

> ___________________________________
David Kezic
Systems Analyst Programmer
> Royal Automobile Club of W.A.
> 228 Adelaide Terrace
> Perth  WA   6000
> AUSTRALIA
>
> p  08 9421 4321
> f   08 9421 4319
> e  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> w rac.com.au

DISCLAIMER:
Disclaimer.  This e-mail is private and confidential. If you are not the
intended recipient, please advise us by return e-mail immediately, and
delete
the e-mail and any attachments without using or disclosing the contents in
any
way. The views expressed in this e-mail are those of the author, and do not
represent those of this company unless this is clearly indicated. You should
scan this e-mail and any attachments for viruses. This company accepts no
liability for any direct or indirect damage or loss resulting from the use
of
any attachments to this e-mail.