Ralph,

1. There are some reporting tools that will do this: mvQuery for one.
2. If you are using UniVerse 10, you can generate XML out of RetrieVe and
SQL. Take a look at the TOXML ATTRIBUTES syntax. This goes to screen, but
you can divert this to file using a paragraph to do a DIVERT.OUT ON filename
itemname.xml TTY.OFF before you run the command.
(Incidentally I've just done an article on this for the upcoming U2UG
knowledge base.)
3. There are utilities that generate comma or tab delimited files. DOWNLOAD
from Cedarville is often cited: otherwise I can send you a utility command I
use. Another technique is to create a temporary dictionary item (e.g. an
EVAL expression) with an expression that includes all the fields you need
with commas between, and do a SELECT SAVING on that to generate the
delimited data.
4. All of these (except the first option) generate the necessary data to a
delimited file on the server. Getting that onto the PC depends on how you
are set up: networked drives, terminal emulator to upload, or use VBA with
UniObjects to pick up the file: the latter using the SequentialFile object.
The final choice really depends on what you have installed and how you want
to use it.
5. If you are using comma or tab delimited data, make sure that your first
column doesn't say 'ID'. Excel will assume this is a SYLK file (ignoring the
file extension) and will spit it out.
6. Finally, you could use UniOleDB/ODBC as an Excel data source, if you are
willing to spend time setting up the account and don't mind waiting until
the end of time for it to complete ...

Regards,

Brian.