I don't like to back down from an upgrade.  When I've had problems
with security settings, I've had to research what it was and adjust
the settings to suit.  The big surprise for us was installing sp2 onto
some xp workstations.  We ended up adding a bunch of our local apps to
the firewall list so that they would work.

On the server end, we've had sp's break older asp based web
applications.  In those cases some source code browsing and tweaking
were required.  All of the changes had to do with loose security
settings that had been fixed with the service pack.

Sorry I can't be more specific.