We had this problem with version 5.1 (supposedly fixed in 5.1.8). This
is what Ardent (at that time) told us:

"Engineering has determined that the problem is with udtsort.exe for 5.1
(all versions). A bug was introduced when optimizing udtsort (making it
faster). They have tested the 5.0 udtsort.exe and it runs fine - even
with the rest of the 5.1 executables."

Perhaps it was still around in 5.2 (even though this is Aix). You can
try checking the release notes or with IBM.

Either that or you rebuilt the index while users were updating the file.

Colin Alfke
Calgary, AB