I tried on universe 10.1.0 running on DEBIAN 3.1

This is the output from raid..
>RAID BP TEST2
 TEST2:   1: A=SPACE(7)
:: S
 TEST2:   2: A= LOWER(FOLD(A,1))
:: S
Abnormal termination of UniVerse.
Fault type is 11.  Layer type is BASIC run machine.
Fault occurred in BASIC program TEST2 at address e.

And here is the output from vlist

00001: A=SPACE(7)
00001 00000 : 184 space          7  => A

00002: A= LOWER(FOLD(A,1))
00002 00006 : 230 fold           A 1  => $R0
00002 0000E : 0DA lower          $R0  => A

00003: CRT A
00003 00014 : 046 crtcrlf        A

I tried to split lower and fold up into seperate lines, and ran the program
with RAID

after the fold A prints as an empty string but trying to display the content of
A with A/ in RAID
produces several screens of binary output from the display device (ugly sight)
file, and after that the program continues but dies on the call to lower() no
wonders with that input to lower :-)

scrolling up in the binary rubbish i can see this :

:: s
 TEST2:   4: CRT '(':A:')'
:: A/
STRING: T r L=-1 `$p/@1STRING: %c %c L=%i `%s'~O

notice that L = -1 ; so right after this the LOWER(A) will try to manipulate
stuff from shared memory, perhaps some common variables.... ??+

how long is A when the reported length is -1 ??

this is a potential buffer underrun problem, time to exploit the possibility
for manipulating the run time engine :-))

I don't know if the above is useful but it was kind of interesting....

best regards from 'sunny' Denmark

Claus Derlien

Frie Funktionfrer - faglig organisation og tvfrfaglig a-kasse - www.f-f.dk

***************************************************************************************************************************************
Denne email og alle filer vedlagt som bilag kan indeholde fortroligt materiale,
der kun er beregnet for adressaten,
og maa ikke udleveres eller kopieres til uvedkommende. Har De ved en
fejltagelse modtaget denne email, bedes
De venligst omgaaende meddele os dette pr. telefon : 6313 8550. Paa forhaand
tak.
This email and any files transmitted with it may contain confidential
information intended for the addressee(s) only.
The information is not to be surrendered or copied to unauthorised persons. If
you have received this
communication in error, please notify us immediately by telephone: +45 6313
8550. Thank you.