The funniest or most gruesome file tuning that I've seen was
a few years ago, at a site that I won't name, who had a master
file with a modulo of exactly 100 and where 99% of the ids
were numbers ending in 00.

Definitely not tuned by "FAST"  - -  maybe they'd used "SLOW"?

Answering Mark's question, "did it really matter to be prime?"
   . . .  No, but if your group distribution is extremely lumpy
or spiky, then, as Henry Eggers once said, your file is walking
around with a sign taped to the back of its shirt, saying,
"Hit Me!".

--
CONFIDENTIALITY:  The information transmitted is intended
only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and