Sequential file I/O is permitted while a transaction is active, so your trigger
subroutine could write to a file that some server process (not in a
transaction) was waiting on.  Sequential file I/O statements can also work with
named pipes, though these are more difficult in a Windows environment.  As far
as I am aware, you can also use the sockets library and/or the HTML library
while a transaction is active; these suggest themselves as alternative ways to
provide an interface to my postulated server process.

My $0.02 worth.