Mike,

In this particular instance, 'hard real-time' isn't an issue, a delay of
a few seconds would be quite OK.
I wasn't commenting on hard real-time. MQ Series and MSMQ guarantee delivery not delivery time (I could be wrong about MSMQ).

Rather I was thinking about how guaranteed you need the system to be. With MQ series you can configure things like queue hardening and clustering so that guaranteed delivery means much the same as a transaction -- the message will get through or you will know straight away that it didn't (because you couldn't connect to your queue manager) (and assuming the message is actually deliverable).

<Advert>
If we can get to the stage where between the time the new employee
finishes signing their life away and the time where they sit at their
desk (gotta be a couple of minutes!) their AD account gets provisioned
so they can log in, we'll be happy as can be.
Have you thought of updating AD directly using LDAP? I have never tried creating a user account via LDAP into AD but I have done so into OpenLDAP and I have done authentication and querying into AD.

I'd be happy to send you a trial package - pure basic subroutines.

</Advert>

Of course you cannot rollback your LDAP changes (although you could undo them).

If you needed your messaging solution to be able to be rolled back in MQ Series you could do an MQCOMMIT just before your COMMITED your UV transaction so I would imagine MSMQ offered something similar.

Craig