As a replacment for OPEN/READ, no, TRANS is no benefit,but for a subroutine
or a program that only needs to read a table or whatever 1 time during
the execution of the program, then I don't see a problem with it. Again
it's a keyword, thus documentation is in the book. Now if it were embedded
in a block of code, you could comment the function of the block of code.
but to document the TRANS itself would be like commenting a Do/While loop
as ; * a do while loop (which to me makes a program longer and doesn't add
anything).

> I'm not trying to be difficult here - I'm just trying to see
> the benefits
> of this alternative to a straightforward and standard approach.

nothing difficult...to each their own. Where I have it in use is quite clear
and quite maintainable.

> Tim Snyder

George