TRANS( file, mv.ids, mv.target.fld, 'X'); CONVERT( @SM, '~', @); SUBR(
'-FIELDS', @, '~',1,1)
  or
SUBR( '-FIELDS', CONVERT( @SM, '~', TRANS( file, mv.ids, mv.target.fld,
'X' )), '~', 1, 1 )

Explanation:  Since FIELDS &  the other multivalued handling subroutines
break things out by and other delimiters, you can't get it to act On the
delimiters themselves.

So convert the system-delimiter you are interested in (in your case
subvalue marks, I believe) to a not-system-delimiter that will not
appear in the data and act on that.

cds

P.S.  I don't have UD, only UV, so I'll leave it to the UD gurus to
correct any subtle distinctions.

P.P.S.

I often find it useful for debugging purposes, to temporarilly cocnvert
alll the delimiters to visible characters, just to see what I'm dealing
with:

  01: I
  02: [some buggy multi-(sub)valued calc]
  03: MD2
  04:
  05: 10R
  06: M

temporarilly becomes

  01: I
  02: [some buggy multi-(sub)valued calc];CONVERT(
@IM:@AM:@VM:@SM:@TM,'iavst',@ )
  03:
  04:
  05: 50L