Wendy,

We use NFA pointers on our web server, so basically the kiddies can't get all
of our production files [grin]. Triggers get executed on the server where the
files live (aka not the remote server). However, you will not be  the
"Enviroment" of the account, it's just Unidata running. We for example have SB+
Accounts, the SB enviroment is NOT loaded (ie @ACNT.NAME, @USER.ID, @PORT are
initialized but values are not set.)

So if your triggers depend on these things you may have to setup a program in
your login process to load these enviroment variables.

Hope this helps,

* Please NOTE NEW Telephone Number *
--
Donald Verhagen
Application Development Manager

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 4:58:43 PM 11/01/2005 >>>
Wendy:
I have not tried this, but I would expect the trigger defined on the file
on the remote system would work fine. There is no NFA file on the 'client'
system - just an 'FX' style file pointer - so you couldn't define a trigger
to fire on an FX pointer in the 'client' environment. (using 'client'
loosely - as the system with the FX pointer to a file on a 'remote' system)

Wally Terhune
Manager - U2 Advanced Client Support
IBM Information Management
4700 South Syracuse Street, Denver, CO   80237
Tel:  303.773.7969    <---------------------------- New Number!
Fax: 303.773.5915    <---------------------------- New Number!
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

             Wendy Smoak
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
             g>                                                         To
             Sent by:                  u2-users@listserver.u2ug.org
             [EMAIL PROTECTED]                                          cc
             stserver.u2ug.org
                                                                   Subject
                                       [U2] NFA and Triggers
             11/01/2005 10:47
             AM

             Please respond to
                 u2-users

Given a file with a trigger, where does the trigger code actually execute
when you open a file with (over?) NFA and write a record to it?

We have some trigger code that needs a certain environment (Datatel's
Envision) to run, and that environment exists where the  file lives... but
not in the account from which we're opening files with NFA.

The backup plan is to get rid of the trigger and simply write records to a
file that gets processed later by a cron job.

Any advice or discussion to help me understand this better?

--
Wendy Smoak

graycol.gif]

pic07440.gif]