hmm. For some reasons I was thinking there were passwords
in the rhosts files..not sure why.

here is a wiki write up on it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rlogin

I use it currently between two system connected via a SLIP
connection (modem), and it works nicely, but the chances of
the other system being hacked (has to be physically, since it
does not have an internet connection) is extremely small.

I also used it between a Redhat machine at home with UV PE
and our system here, but only for a test to see if I could pass
connections from one UV machine to another. It worked, but I
didn't feel comfortable with the exposure it opened up, although
it was confined nicely, as that port was only allowed entry through
the external firewall for only 1 IP address, so only my Home PC IP
could actually get to the rlogin port of the machine, it was fairly
secure for that connection.

George