-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Scott Ballinger
Sent: Saturday, 12 November 2005 5:34 AM
To: u2-users@listserver.u2ug.org
Subject: RE: [U2] UniVerse - file importation

As Gordon mentioned, you can read .dbf files using BASIC. Here is a
snippet I dug up from an old program that processed dBaseIV (Foxpro?)
files (I think I got the .dbf file-spec from wotsit.org):

  if first.time then
    *  header.size & rec.size can be determined by reading the
    *  header data, but make sure that block size is greater
    *  than the header size.
    h1 = seq(new.block[9,1])
    h2 = seq(new.block[10,1])
    header.size = (256*h2)+h1 + 4     ;* was +2?
    r1 = seq(new.block[11,1])
    r2 = seq(new.block[12,1])
    rec.size = (256*r2)+r1
    first.time = 0
  end

Header.size tells you where the data records start, rec.size tells you
how big each record is; from there on it's just parsing fixed length
records.

Here are some other ways to get your dBase data:

1. Import to Excel, export as tab-delimited, OPENSEQ from UV.
2. Accuterm can import dBase files directly into Pick (I'll bet
Wintegrate can too).

/Scott Ballinger
Pareto Corporation
Edmonds WA USA