David,

Sigafoos
> Sent: Wednesday, 23 November 2005 16:06
> To: Daniel Perttula
> Subject: Re: [U2] sql server & universe
>
> Daniel,
>
> SQL is pretty insistent on data being what it is defined as
> (a feature for some .. a drawback for others)
>
> Your best bet is to make your dictionaries match the data.
> Not sure I would actually make the fields lenght 999 but
> instead write a routine to examine the data and let you know
> the best size to make it.

Doesn't HS.SCRUB do this for you?  Then you can describe the data
correctly in Attribute 10.

Or

Leave that attribute blank [except for fields which need correct
description like DATE, or DECIMAL 12,2] and describe everything else on
the SQL side as VARCHAR(255)

HTH

Mike

> If 13 char is the longest(in this case) then smudge to 14 if you
> think the data will change to that.
>
> Tuesday, November 22, 2005, 3:40:56 PM, you wrote:
>
> DP> Hello all - quick question for the SQL gurus out there, we have a
> DP> customer using SQL Server 2000 making queries to a UV 10.1.11
> DP> server. We've noted that SQL Server errors out if the data in any
> DP> field matches or exceeds the field length specified in the field
> DP> dictionary. For example if we have a
> DP> dictionary:
>
> DP> WIDGET.PRICE
> DP> <1> A
> DP> <2> 100
> DP> <3> WIDGET PRICE
> DP> <4>
> DP> <5>
> DP> <6>
> DP> <7> MD2
> DP> <8>
> DP> <9> R
> DP> <10> 12

The information contained in this Internet Email message is intended
for the addressee only and may contain privileged information, but not
necessarily the official views or opinions of the New Zealand Defence Force.
If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, copy or
distribute this message or the information in it.

If you have received this message in error, please Email or telephone
the sender immediately.