I show ESC:&l1S to be "Long Edge Binding", in other words
if you flip the paper (in portrait) over the text will be in the same direction
  for flipping the pages side to side (like a book)
short edge binding would have the text in opposite direction, for flipping the
  pages up (like a steno notepad).

I'm not sure what you mean by printing both sides on one side?

Is that trying to get 2 8 1/2 x 11's on 1 11 x 17 side?
That might be more of a printer specific command, which would use an
   extended custom form of PJL. (ex. Canon IR's use @COMMENT for their
   extended commands).

George