The majority of the "garbage" characters I get are from
files from clients in other countries where they have entered
an upper ASCII code from an accented letter.

In these cases, changing the character to null will make
a misspelled name, which is why I have my routine change the
character to it's non-accented name.

It's not a perfect solution, but it's a happy medium.

George