IBM replied that " Dynamic Connect (DC) was added to the U2 product
suite to provide simple terminal emulation functionality equivalent to
the UVTerm tool that had historically been available for UniVerse".

Well, one of the "simple"  things supported by UVTERM was the AREV
screen handler which is also built into Dynamic Connect via extensions.
Many other terminal emulations and extensions  eg  for System Builder
not supported by UVTERM have been supplied as a part of Dynamic Connect
with the associated scripts supplied in source form ie not compiled into
.wix files.  As any user of Dynamic Connect will know, UVTERM is a poor
comparison,  and to date,  Dynamic Connect has been a great replacement
emulator giving users much needed additional functionality.  Being able
to customise the supplied emulations has been one of the really powerful
features and  customising the supplied scripts  has been invaluable in
providing needed functionality.

For IBM to state that Dynamic Connect is a "simple terminal emulator" is
to try to deflect the argument that once features have been made
available - and documented - it's not OK  for the vendor to remove them
without notice or warning.

Further to this IBM stated in their reply that scripting had been
documented in the Dynamic Connect manuals "in error".   Hard lines for
those users and developers, like yourself Alan, who never received this
little tidbit of information from IBM that you were at risk of not being
able to fully utilise later versions of Dynamic Connect even though your
documentation said you could.

Oh yes,  we  were offered Wintegrate at a "reasonable price" because of
this "error".  This clearly indicated to me that IBM  were manouvering a
situation where users,  who had exploited the documented feature of
being able to script Dynamic Connect,  would at a later date be
pressured to move to Wintegrate.

The other bit of arrogance was that as Dynamic Connect was "freely
distibuted" IBM could take away features as they saw fit. The expression
"The lord gives and the lord takes away" comes to mind

There are situations where UVTERM functionality can only be practiaclly
supported through some form of scripting.  For example, the only
practical way to support the UVTERM "pop-up" menus,  which users came to
rely on in UVTERM,  is to write an extension to detect mouse events and
load up a menu, supporting an image viewer is only practically supported
via scripting, turning off CTRL-E you need to modify  vt100.wis, turning
off the BEL etc. etc.

I do not recall though ever seeing a statement to the general U2
community that removing features and "locking down" Dynamic Connect to
the extent that you have experienced  was going to be IBM's stance.
Rather than being an ommission, IBM have actually seen fit to
deliberately spend time and money to remove a feature previously
provided, even if not supported, and have done so in a really
clandestine and disruptive manner with little thought as to the impact
on the user base who provide IBM with a regular and profitable revenue
stream.

This move could/should boost interest in AccuTerm and, if I can get
AccuTerm to run on Linux that will be were my efforts will go

Regards
Ian Stuart