   to that information via MAP.

   From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
   [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]  On  Behalf Of "Stevenson,
   Charles" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
   Sent: Friday, December 16, 2005 10:47 AM
   To: <u2-users@listserver.u2ug.org>
   Subject: RE: [U2] global catdir question - security hole

   > David Wolverton
   > As a 'security risk', has IBM explicitly been asked to fix
   > this item and said they'd prefer just to leave a gaping hole?
   > Or is it like many things, everyone knows it, but everyone
   > thinks someone else has followed up on it, and it must just
   > be 'the way it must be'... Remember, IBM does not monitor
   > this list for bugs to fix... At least, I'm not expecting them to!
   >
   > IBM seems to respond to TechConnect issues -- Log it!
   I first _formally_ reported it in 1996, although I can't prove that at
   this point. I think there was a GTAR.
   I have also had personal conversations about it with several
   Vmark/Ardent/Informix/IBM  people  who  were  in a position to care or
   take
   action.  I  remember asking about it in a question/answer panel during
   the
   Ft. Lauderdale, 1998 national conference. So it has been a conscious
   decision to leave it as is for about a decade. (When was UV first
   implemented on NT? I do not remember how catdir's REF counter is
   implemented there.)
   I cannot imagine I am the only one who has ever complained. It is a
   glaring  hole  that  everyone sees when they do the "ls -lt uv/catdir"
   that
   John  Reid  mentioned  at  the  top  of  this  thread. Or everyone who
   wondered
   how the &MAP&'s REF counter was incremented.
   I have not vigorously pursued it because those paying my bills, whose
   DBs I would be protecting, have not cared enough. I don't think the
   majority of companies worry about malicious attacks (from their own
   staff or contractors). Even SJ+'s PRC, the premier U2 software control
   tool, does not prevent malicious attempts to circumvent it. My own
   UV/RCS-based  SCM  effort  tightens  things  down  pretty  well, but I
   haven't
   figure out how to protect catdir. I can only log changes to it.
   I'll take it to U2UG's Enhancement committee.
   cds