<snip>
> I worked with a client a while back and their
> application only used the BASIC INPUT statement.  This
> caused some garbage data to occasionnally appear in
> their files.
</snip>

I can honestly say that over 95% of my client's programs are INPUT ANS. Some
have INPUT ANS,5 or INPUT ANS,5: or INPUT ANS,5:_ or even INPUT ANS:. Of
these, my preference is INPUT ANS,5:_.

One client with The Programmer's Helper has an Input subroutine but it
doesn't appear to recognize the arrow keys. It does filter control
characters.

Like always, it's left to the individual programmer. Thus goes any help.

My 1 cent.
Mark Johnson