This did happen to us once before, I think the circumstances were
around unix and not being able to spawn off a new process.

Our problem was with phantoms, I had a phantom process that fired
off other phantom processes, the only problem was the processes that
were fired off were never released because the parent phantom had
never finished.

Our workaround for that was to have the parent phantom chain to itself
after it fired off a new phantom, thus allowing the child phantom to
fully release.

Once we killled the parent phantom job, all of our locked processed
started up like magic.

George