Michael Doyle wrote:
Recently, we've been looking at ways of developing a high availability
cluster for our production UniVerse environment. Thanks to
www.linux-ha.org we've been able to install two machines at different
locations (cities twenty miles apart) and if the primary machine drops,
users can log into the same IP address within a few seconds. The problem
we have run into is replicating our data across the two nodes.

We're replicating UV at the OS level on RH linux with Steeleye's LifeKeeper software:

http://www.steeleye.com

The backup machine keeps an entire external raid set synched at the block level. Should the primary machine fail or stop responding over the network, the backup machine shuts off power to the primary machine, assumes its IP address, mounts the filesystems on the raid set, and starts all necessary services (one of which is UV). We experienced some crashes due to a kernel bug early on, so we've tested this setup in a production environment. We never experienced any UV file corruption after a failover.

Our machines are in the same datacenter though, with a gigabit ethernet connection between them - not 20 miles apart like yours. I don't know if you could do this over a WAN connection. The people at Steeleye should be able to tell you though.

-John
--
John Hester
System & Network Administrator