At 18:51 17/01/06 -0800, you wrote:

Tony:

It's amazing how much one constantly fights with the dbms, isn't it?  :-)
Way too much is illogical or is segregated between Pick mode, which is 30
years old, and "U" mode, which doesn't work well for Pick like environments.
For instance, in "U" mode something so simple like 'SORT VOC = "[LIST_]"'
fails miserably.  :-(

One always has to ask the question, why would IBM and UD make it so
difficult to work in, or move to, this environment?  :-)

Waaaaaay back, late '80s, I was trying to get the Unidata blokes out from under my feet, and the opinion expressed then about the dis-similarity of UD to vanilla Pick was all to do with Dick and litigation..... so they made things different, but close, but that seemingly didn't stop Dick.... I guess UD took a "more stringently different" path with ECLTYPEs "P" and "U" compared with UV and its different modes, Pick, Information, et al...., but then again, I wouldn't really know: my 9 years with UV was all in Pick mode.... I suppose now nobody @ IBM sees any need to unPick, or more correctly, re-Pick, the current product....

Bill

Regards,

Bruce Nichol
Talon Computer Services