-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Peter Ivanick
Sent: Monday, January 23, 2006 10:40 AM
To: u2-users@listserver.u2ug.org
Subject: [U2] Hypothetical question about switching server frontends to
SAN w/o reinstalling Universe

Hola all -

We've got our UniVerse installation (RH AS 3.5, U2 10.1.4) on a SAN
partition, /usr/ibm is mounted entirely from there and that's where
everything was installed to. On a hardware testing server, I had the
opportunity to test out pointing an entirely different front-end system
to that partition (well, a copy of it for testing) to see if U2 would
come up, and it did indeed after I:

1) copied uv.rc, S999uv.rc, .uvhome & .unishared over to the new system
2) linked .uvlibs appropriately
3) restore spconfig & the whole spool directory from a backup
4) added the RPC port into /etc/services

Is there anything I missed here that would be helpful and/or necessary
to proper functioning? I'm looking at this as an extreme disaster
recovery scenario possibility, but theoretically it could substantially
ease upgrading the system as well (although ours is pretty recent so
this likely wouldn't come up for some time) with minimal downtime.

Thoughts/comments? Would OS differences matter at all here, i.e. if one
was RH 3.5 64 bit and the next system coming up was 32 bit, or a jump
from the 2.4 kernel to the 2.6 kernel (presuming the release of U2
supported the 2.6 kernel)?

Thanks very much for any input.

--
Peter Ivanick
Web Services and Instructional Technologies