> > However, the few files I have moved to dynamic hashing are rediculous in
> > size.  I'm obviously setting some file parameters wrong, but would like
> > insight from anyone who has good luck...
> >
> > The file STC.HIST as a dynamic file takes up 4.3Gig of disk space.  It
> > has around 944,000 records, a blocksize of 1024 but a modulo of
> > 4,000,000+ When I convert this to a static file, I can properly size it
> > with a modulo of around 94,000 which takes up a mere 75Meg.
> >
> > I've tried changing split/merge loads from the default of 60/40 to 20/10.
> > I've tried playing with the minimum modulo....
>
> A couple of questions: UD or UV?  If UD, dynamic KEYDATA or dynamic
> KEYONLY?

Unidata, Keyonly

> And what is your average record size in the STC.HIST file?

> Also,
> I am guessing that as a history file, it is going to continue to grow, so
> how about GROW as the minimum modulo?

We purge records in the file after they're 1 year old (if nobody's asked or
questioned student registrations in a year - well after a course has ended)
then they can safely be purged.  We do this regularly so the file will not
continue to grow.

--
Jeff Butera, Ph.D.
Administrative Systems