John,
Pardon me, but I want to be sure I understand this exactly.
I want to be clear whether you & I saw the same thing or the opposite.

I saw:
  - corrpuption in my data file, with text from SYS.MESSAGES written in
my data file.
  - SYS.MESSAGES iteslf was NOT written to & was NOT corrupt.
You saw:
  - corruption in UV's SYS.MESSAGES.  SYS.MESSAGES itself WAS written to
and WAS corrupted.
  - Your own data files were not corrupted.  (but were expected updates
missing?)

Did I get your half right?
If so, can you tell what data was written to SYS.MESSAGES?  Was it
something that was supposed to be written to your own data file?

> From: John Kent
>     we dont run transaction logging.
> ...I am guessing that its the edi routine thats causing this
> problem

And I figured it was TxLg.  Now I'm thinking yours & mine are related
and its neither edi nor txlg.
Your edi & my como corruption probably both involve i/o to OS flat
files, fwiw.

> but the error message suggests that and there is only
> one read only file on the system that i know of..
>
> If anyone knows how to reproduce those error message i would
> like to know as i have tried everything i can think of

me too.

CDS