From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 10 February 2006 13:09
To: u2-users@listserver.u2ug.org
Subject: [U2] [u2][ud] Poor select performance

Hi there,
we are having very slow respone times on a select statement. We have a file
with a total of 5 million records in where the key is like nnnn-nnnnnn. The
first part(nnnn) is a customer number(numeric) and the second part(nnnnnn)
is
a sequential no. We have created an i-descriptor on the customer number,
FIELD(@ID,'-',1). On this i-descriptor we have put an index:

Index-Name......  F-type K-type Built Empties Dups In-DICT S/M
F-no/VF-expr....
FAKT.FINR         V      Num    Yes   Yes     Yes  Yes     S
FIELD(@ID,'-',1)

Selecting a customer with 570 000 records can take 30 seconds.
(example of statement SELECT A_FILE WITH FAKT.FINR = 66)

Selecting other indexed values in the same file which gives me 5 records out
of the 5 million is very very fast.

I've tried to rebuild.index with no improvment in performance. The file
doesen't show any sign of level 2 overflow.

I am single user on a powerful Sun server with SAN disks. We are on Solaris
8
and Unidata 6.1.10.

Shouldn't it be faster than this? Perhaps this is normal and we have to take
another approach to get the data we need?

Thanks in advance!

Bjorn Eklund
Faktab Finans AB