The purpose of this type of indirection is (or should be) both business and
application related. It's a methodology which helps cohesion (understanding
the problem). I don't see why you should have separate methods for the
business logic from the programming mumbo jumbo.

For example if you pass into a program a description of something you want
it to do, CALL SomeProg('GetCustomerBalance',...) that is business related.
Now if by CALL SomeProg('PaintScreen',...), that is programming mumbo
jumbo, either way, whatever happens within the scope of that call 'is' a
black box.

By using descriptive method arguments it creates cohesion, where you can
pretty much understand 'what' a component does but don't have to know 'how'
it does it (as long as it's working) without having to take the lid off it.

The conversation here has just been a debate on whether a program
could/should branch to a label with the same name by compiler or by
construction. Then if by construction, how do you do it. I don't think
there's any real disagreement in the wider computing world about the
soundness of the methodology, viz object methods. Generally this type of
interface is called "dynamic dispatch" and it's a widely used and respected
method.

Stuart

> It is always wrong to specify directly in a calling program which branch
the

> execution should take in a program that is called. It does not matter

> whether it is using GOSUB @variable or CASE statement. It is also wrong

> pass into the called program the information from where it is been
called. \

> Each parameter passed inside a program should have a business-related

> meaning, not programming jumbo-mumbo.

This email message and any files transmitted with it are confidential and
intended solely for the use of addressed recipient(s). If you have received
this email in error please notify the Spotless IS Support Centre (+61 3 9269
7555) immediately, who will advise further action. This footnote also confirms
that this email message has been scanned for the presence of computer related
viruses.