Steve:

I always view hardware solutions as preferable.  Put a reusable font (or
signature) on a chip, then call it with a font#.  Troy has these that can be
controlled by software.

You can also have soft fonts that can be downloaded to a printer for a
particular purpose, like a signature font.  When the check run is complete
the signature font can be deleted from the printer.

If you have more specific questions, ask.  Hope this helps.

Bill