I'll second Ken's opinion. We converted our application from D3 to
UniData about 10 years ago. We converted approx 30 clients. Everybody
was really happy. You just have to look at some things differently.

No slight intended here Bill but I believe you did this all with the PE
version and no IBM involvement. This no doubt added to the pain. Of
course, an on the ball IBM rep *should* have contacted you... I know
you've told me about the world of difference in support you've been
getting from MS with VS and SQL (though you didn't say if you actually
purchased those ;-) You also seem "pushed" from D3 rather than "pulled"
to UniData - that might also be part of the issue.

When we converted we had a UniData account UCONV3 on aix that had a
number of utilities that I believe we used. I have documentation on it
in my UniData manual (circa version 3.6.5?) but haven't seen anything on
it since. Perhaps IBM should get on top of this before Tony convinces
everyone to move to Jbase ;-)

In Bill's defence: UniData does have a Pick compatibility mode - note I
said Pick and not D3. It doesn't have some of the "enhancements" done in
the last 15-20 years - like still needing quotes around item id's in
UniQuery statements. Also UniQuery's sub-totalling on det-supp reports
leaves something to be desired. We converted our app to SB+ at the same
time as moving to UD. It insulated us from a number of the issues that
Bill encountered. It "forces" you to use Pick compatibility mode - I
wonder if that is going to change now that IBM no longer supports SB+ on
D3?

That being said - I wouldn't go back unless someone paid me
(anybody!?!?! Heck, I'll even work with Visage if I have to ;-)

Way too much for this early on St. Patrick's Day!
Colin Alfke
Calgary Canada