I've recently encountered host-based printer problems and had SEVERAL
discussions with HP American tech support about this (no offense to
the outsourcers out there, but it was helpful to have easy
communication) and after we moved beyond the typical "manual" of HP
answers, the higher tech support levels and I found a solution to it.

Don't use host-based printing in a shared printer environment. Host-based printing is good for using when the printer is connected
directly to the machine which will be doing the output.  I doubt that
you're printing from the computer that has the Unidata server
installed, but if you are, make sure that you're using the USB
connection.  If you're not printing from the machine with the server
on it, then don't use the host-based printing.

Because the U2 reports are mostly ASCII-based as far as I know,
host-based printing at HP doesn't support it.  There are a couple of
articles on HP's website regarding this.  You need a printer with
native printer drivers such as PCL5 or PCL6.