Hi Jerry,

Actually, I know about multi-data files too... I used to use them on Pick
R83, to simulate what Universe later implemented much more cleanly as
distributed files.

Part numbers dont have to be sequential and dont have to start at 1 ( I
didnt know that until I was told quite recently...), but cannot be zero.
You could if you wanted to use the whole year as a part number if you
wished, so you could have part numbers 2000, 2001, 2002 etc.

However, how often are you going to be select just the year 2000 data? It
would probably make sense to have a part file for each of the more recent
years, and put the rest in a bucket. That way you retain all the
advantages of using a distributed file, but minimise the disadvantages....

cheers,

asvin

"Jerry Banker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent by: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
17/05/2006 15:24
Mail Size: 4382
Please respond to

<u2-users@listserver.u2ug.org>
cc

Subject
[U2] UV - Distributed files
Entity
Investment Banking Europe - IBEU

Since you seem to know a little about distributed (as opposed to
multi-data files), I have a question. What do you do with year 2000?
I've recently gotten into distributed files and was wondering how others
treat year 0 records. Can there be a part number 0?