To: <u2-users@listserver.u2ug.org>
Sent: Monday, May 22, 2006 11:43 AM
Subject: Re: [U2] Help with non functional printer

Goo'day, again, Louis,

At 10:53 22/05/06 +0800, you wrote:

With further "messing about" using the GDI,DEFAULT addition I now can
print text at least.

It doesn't seem to support even PCL3 as a simple orientation string (to
select landscape printing) is ignored. Also the graphic set, like "light down
and left/light down and right/light horizontal etc are completely screwed.

As I said... A sub-set of PCL 3, but I'm surprised it doesn't support ESC:'&l0O' for landscape..... Perhaps as time passes, these sorts of printers are further removed from the ability to programatically control them.

But you should consider sending the PCL landscape, A4 (??), etc to the printer as a "page separator" (.sep file).

We also use:
GDI
FONTNAME Courier New     <--- Notethe Upper/lower case
FONTSIZE 8
in SETPTR statements which gives about 178 charsx60 lines per A4 page.

Perhaps *you* will be the one who gives IBM the straw that breaks the camel's back and they set about looking to use Winblows printer drivers, but you'll have to fight the *nix side of the fence first.... Nobody that I know of in the past 12 years has been able to convince anybody involved with UV (from VMark onward) that Windows printer drivers are used by the rest of the world.....

HTH

Well, at least I can now print text so that is a gain but any further suggestions
to print graphic characters would be appreciated.

I am really puzzled as under Windows it is a superb printer. Does everything
I hoped it would but un UniVerse ....

Bits vs characters...

Thanks for the responses so far,

Louis