Kevin,

I tangled with an ImageRunner for days and was pulling my hair out trying to
get it to draw from the correct tray.
Here is what I concluded: The IR accepts and processes PCL codes but is
actually PostScript oriented. I'll bet that the NT drivers that are working
properly are PS drivers, correct? What the printer wants to know is, "what
paper do you want? Let ME pick the tray because I know where the paper is", not
"what tray do you want to pick from?". When you tell it with a PCL code what
tray you want, the printer second guesses the program and demands user
intervention. What it really is asking is, "yeah, I know you picked this TRAY,
but is this really the PAPER that you want?" In the PS vernacular, there is a
way to do this, but I don't know PS. I tried combinations of paper and tray PCL
codes, but I never got it to work.

I created a document describing this problem and pushed it up the Canon tech
support ladder as far as I could. No help from them.

Perhaps George was on the right track with the PJL codes. I'll be damned it
that works - we sold the IRs because of this problem!!

Ted