Thank you to everyone who helped on this issue. My applet is now
working.

For those who may need to do this in the future I've summarized the
issues below.

Problem 1:    Proxy server starting then dying without a whimper.
                    Rename asjava.zip to asjava.jar - Thanks John Hester

Problem 2:    java.security.AccessControlException: access denied
(java.net.SocketPermission 127.0.0.1:31448 connect,resolve)
                    Applet was trying to connect to localhost instead of
proxyserver. The client, proxy and web server were originally all on the
same machine hence the typo in the connection.

Problem 3:    asjava.uniobjects.UniSessionException: The RPC failed
                    Changed UOJ version asjava.zip from 1.1.1 to 2.0.1

Problem 4:    java.security.AccessControlException: access denied
(java.util.PropertyPermission file.encoding read)
                    Added the following line to the client's java.policy
file in the active JRE.
                    permission java.util.PropertyPermission
"file.encoding", "read";

I wish there was a way to do #4 through software but in my case this
works since I'll be pre-configure the client units for this application.

Thanks again,

Jeff